Freshly baked bread is one of life’s greatest culinary pleasures, and this easy-to-make 7 whole grain variety is a meal in its own right. Add your favorite fixings and you’ve got bistro fare at its best.
Makes 10 bread servings
Cooking time: 35 minutes (active), 2½ hours (total)
1 cup Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Flakes cereal
2 cups boiling water
1 packet dry yeast
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons flax seeds
2 teaspoons poppy seedsSandwich
¼ cup organic red pepper hummus (homemade or store bought)
2 slices organic tomato
1 organic romaine lettuce leaf
1. Put Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Flakes cereal in large bowl and pour 2 cups boiling water on top. Let the mixture soak for about 20 minutes, until it cools to room temperature (or an instant thermometer reads 110°F). Sprinkle yeast over moistened cereal. Then, add 2 of the cups of the whole wheat pastry flour, olive oil, honey, and salt; stir until smooth. Form bread dough by gradually mixing in most (if not all) of the remaining 1 cup whole wheat flour and the seeds. Place dough in bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rest for 15 minutes.
2. Flour your work surface. Take dough out of bowl and knead it until smooth and elastic for about 10 minutes. Add more flour if it’s sticky. Lightly coat a large bowl with oil and add dough to bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover bowl with clean towel and put it in a warm area to rise for about one hour (until it has doubled in size).
3. Remove kitchen towel and punch down one time. Next, oil your work surface and then turn out dough; knead briefly. Shape the dough to fit your loaf pan. Add dough to 12x4 loaf pan, lightly greased with olive oil, making certain to press gently into each corner. Dust top of loaf with flour and cover with a clean towel. Let rise in warm area for about 30 minutes (until it has almost doubled).
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. With a sharp knife, cut three diagonal slashes in surface of the loaf and place it in oven. Bake loaf for about 35 minutes, until golden and crusty (a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf should come out clean). Transfer loaf to a rack to cool for 1 1/2 hours. Bread can be stored at room temperature or frozen.
5. To make sandwich, slice 2 pieces of bread and toast slightly. Spread hummus on one slice, add tomato and lettuce. Serve.