Hearty Banana Muffins Recipe
A favorite way to start the day gets a nutrition boost from Heart to Heart® cereal. Tender and moist inside, crisp and toasty outside — yum!
Place Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal in a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin until the cereal resembles coarse flour without any large chunks. To save time, you can place the cereal in a blender or food processor and pulse into coarse flour instead.
Makes 12 muffins
2-½ cups, crushed Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal
1-¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup cane syrup
1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminum free)
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed organic bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
1/2 cup organic nonfat milk (or plain organic soy milk)
2 organic egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
⅓ cup expeller-pressed canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
4. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Spoon batter evenly into lightly oiled muffin tins. For garnish, place three hearts from the Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal on top of each muffin.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers of the muffins comes out clean, or about 20 minutes. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.