Veggie Burgers with Heart Recipe
Vegetarians and meat lovers alike will savor the hearty texture and Italian seasonings of these succulent patties, which are as tender as they are nutritious.
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 1/2 large organic yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large organic red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or soy oil
- 1 pound ground soy/veggie meat or crumbled soy/veggie burgers
- 4 ounces organic egg whites or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup no-added-salt ketchup or barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded organic mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed Kashi® Organic Honey Toasted Oat Cereal
- 1/4 cup organic reduced-sodium Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan cheese
1. In large skillet cook onion, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in oil about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add veggie meat. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in applesauce, ketchup, 1/2 cup cheese and KASHI Organic Honey Toasted Oat Cereal.
2. Shape mixture into eight patties. Place in greased, shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately. Store any leftover burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat refrigerated burgers in the microwave until warm.