Spring Barley Salad Recipe
Whole grains and veggies unite in this simple yet satisfying springtime salad, featuring leeks, wild mushrooms, carrot, asparagus, fava beans, and barley in a light vinaigrette.
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 organic leek (white only), chopped
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mixed organic wild mushrooms (such as morels, oyster or lobster)
- 2 cups all-natural vegetable stock
- 4 ounces frozen shelled fava beans
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 pound organic asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 organic carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (preservative-free)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms. Continue cooking about 5 minutes more or until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates. Set aside.
2. In medium sauce pan combine vegetable stock, fava beans and barley. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in asparagus, carrot and oregano. Return to simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain barley mixture, reserving both barley mixture and cooking liquid.
3. In serving bowl toss together mushroom mixture and barley mixture. Stir in vinegar and the desired amount of the reserved cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper (if desired). Serve chilled or at room temperature.