Root Vegetable Salad Bagna Cauda Recipe
Inspired by bagna cauda, the classic Italian dish of cold vegetables dipped into hot anchovy-butter sauce, this root vegetable salad is fresh, bright and crunchy. It's an especially nice way to begin a rich winter meal.
Prep Time: 50 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 2 small organic golden beets, trimmed
- 6 organic fingerling potatoes
- 6 small organic carrots, peeled
- 1 small bulb organic fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 small head organic radicchio, leaves separated
- 6 organic radishes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons expeller-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon organic lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place beets in an oven-proof dish and add water to a depth of 1/2-inch. Cover dish with foil and bake about 30 minutes or until beets are easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Let cool, then peel, slice into wedges and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boiling, then add potatoes and cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Use slotted spoon to remove potatoes from water. Return water to boiling. Add carrots. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water. When cool enough to handle, slice both potatoes and carrots in half lengthwise.
3. In a large serving bowl arrange fennel and radicchio. Top with potatoes, beets, carrots and radishes. Sprinkle with parsley.
4. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine olive oil, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook over low heat just until garlic begins to sizzle and releases its aroma. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Pour over vegetables. Toss to coat. Season with sea salt (if desired).