Root Vegetable Gratin with Caramelized Onions and Cheddar Cheese Recipe
Caramelized onions and sharp cheddar put a distinctive American spin on a traditional gratin.
Prep Time: 50 min
Total Time: 85 min
- 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh organic rosemary
- 1 pound organic white potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 pound organic sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- 1 pound organic rutabaga, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepan combine milk, water, 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining salt, garlic and rosemary. Bring to simmering over medium heat. Add white potatoes. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until just tender. Use slotted spoon to remove potatoes from milk mixture. Set aside. Repeat with the sweet potato and rutabaga, cooking each vegetable separately until it is tender. Set each vegetable aside separately. Reserve milk mixture.
3. In greasded 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan layer the poatotes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining salt and some of the pepper. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Next layer the sweet potatoes, the remaining salt and additional pepper. Top with 1/2 cup of the remaining chese. Top with the rutabaga, onions and the remaining cheese. Ladle 1 cup of the milk mixture over all. Tightly cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.