Pumpkin and Black Bean Stew Recipe
Satisfying and hearty describes this one bowl meal that features pumpkin, black beans, tomatoes and corn. A little cinnamon, cumin, paprika and oregano give it enticing flavors.
Prep Time: 35 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 medium organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped organic onion
- 1 organic jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves or dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups peeled and cubed organic pumpkin or organic butternut squash
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) organic no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced organic tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups organic reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen organic whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh organic parsley or sliced organic green onion
1. In Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeño pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until nearly tender. Stir in garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, paprika, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until fragrant.
2. Stir in pumpkin, black beans, undrained tomatoes, broth and corn. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley.