Protein Tomato Tofu Soup Recipe
Who says soup should only be eaten in winter? This is a delicious year-round dish that can be enjoyed as a lunch, dinner or even a snack. And with the unexpected yet delightful additions of agave nectar and protein, it is good to the very last drop!
Prep Time: 50 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound soft tofu
- Toasted whole-wheat bread (optional)
1. In Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender, but not brown. Stir in garlic. Cook for 2 minutes more.
2. Add undrained tomatoes, water, agave nectar and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Crumble tofu into tomato mixture. Cook about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
4. Use immersion blender to blend mixture until smooth. (Or transfer one portion of the tomato mixture, at a time, to a food processor bowl. Cover and process until smooth.) Serve hot with toasted bread (if desired).