Mushroom Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
Nutty wheat berries and earthy Portobello mushrooms combine for a winter salad that’s worth digging into.
Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 3 cups all-natural, reduced-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup winter red wheat berries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small organic shallot, minced
- 1 cup chopped organic portobello mushrooms
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup very thinly sliced organic fennel
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon juice
1. In medium saucepan bring stock to boiling. Add wheat berries and salt. Return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until wheat berries are tender. Drain. Set aside.
2. In medium skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shallot in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cook and stir until mushrooms are soft. Stir in wheat berries. Heat through. Remove from heat.
3. In medium bowl combine fennel, tarragon and lemon juice. Spoon wheat berry mixture into 3 serving bowls. Top with fennel mixture. Serve.