Melon Mozzarella Basil Bites Recipe
This is a delicious take on tomato-mozzarella salad, or the Italian caprese salad. Sweet ripe melon stands in for the tomatoes. It has a similar texture and sweetness, and the vinegar and olive oil marinade makes it taste a bit more savory with the cheese. You can use cherry tomatoes instead of the melon.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 80 min
- 1/2 bunch fresh organic basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (preservative-free)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe organic cantaloupe or organic red watermelon
- 8 ounces ciliegini or small fresh mozzarella balls (cherry size), drained
- 25 toothpicks
1. Separate 25 whole small leaves. Set aside. Finely chop enough of the remaining basil leaves to make 1 teaspoon. In a small bowl combine the chopped basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Use a melon baller or a round 1/2-teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop out 25 melon balls.
3. Thread 1 melon ball, 1 mozzarella ball and 1 basil leaf on each toothpick. Place in shallow dish. Pour vinegar mixture over top. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, turning kabobs occasionally.
4. Drain kabobs and serve.