Lentil Kofta Bites
Stay fueled while cheering for your favorite team! These Middle Eastern–inspired appetizers are perfect for entertaining and gathering to watch the game this World Cup season.
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 3 tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (19 oz) Lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, divided
- 2 cups Kashi® Whole Wheat Biscuits, Cinnamon Harvest
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp Chopped cilantro, divided
- 3 tbsp Chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3/4 cup Plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup Tahini sauce
- 1 lemon Freshly grated zest
- 2 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large skillet set over medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil and butter; stir until melted and blended. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes or until deep amber and very tender. Add garlic, lentils, 1/2 tsp salt, cumin, paprika and 1/4 tsp pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
3. Transfer lentil mixture to food processor and pulse to combine. Add Kashi® Whole Wheat Biscuits and pulse until mixture is smooth and combined. Stir in egg, 2 tbsp cilantro and 2 tbsp parsley.
4. Scoop mixture into 20 even balls. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and drizzle with remaining oil.
5. Bake, flipping halfway through, for 20 to 25 minutes or until kofta bites are golden and crisp.
6. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together yogurt, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining salt and remaining pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and place in center of serving plate.
7.Arrange kofta bites around dipping sauce and affix with toothpicks. Garnish with remaining cilantro and remaining parsley before serving.
Tip: Leftover kofta bites can be served sandwich-style in toasted pitas for a quick and easy lunch.