Indian Chickpea Dip Recipe
Dry roasting the spices found in traditional Indian curry adds a depth of flavor not usually found in that ubiquitous of chickpea dips, hummus. Enjoy this flavorful dip with sliced radishes or crackers.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 white peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (15 oz.) organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup naturally-prepared tahini
- 3 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon natural sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 to 4 tablespoons water (optional)
1. In small skillet dry roast all the spices, except the turmeric, over medium heat until they darken slightly and become fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in turmeric. Grind the spices with a mortal and pestle, spice grinder, or clean coffee grinder.
2. In food processor bowl combine chickpeas, cilantro (if desired), tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and spice mixture. Cover and process until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl. With food processor running, slowly add olive oil. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the texture is smooth and creamy.
3. Taste to adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice, salt or olive oil (if desired). Garnish a slice of lemon. Serve with vegetables or crackers.