Fennel Salad with Oranges, Olives, and Dried Figs Recipe
You’ll need to spend some time preparing all the various loving touches that make this salad so special. Is it worth it? No question! This is my favorite lunch. Served with some whole grain bread, it's a tasty meal.
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 small head organic butter (Boston) lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 organic navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium bulb fresh organic fennel, sliced paper thin
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 5 to 6 organic dried figs, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
- A small piece of hard cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, Asiago), shaved into thin slices with a vegetable peeler (optional)
1. In large salad bowl toss together lettuce, oranges, fennel, olives and figs.
2. Drizzle salad with oil,. Toss until thoroughly coated. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper (if desired). Toss. Refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
3. Just before serving, drizzle with lemon juice. Top with almonds and cheese (if desired). Quickly toss. Serve immediately.