Crunchy Vegetable Wraps with Artichoke Hearts Recipe
Meaty marinated artichoke hearts provide an intriguing centerpiece to these crunchy wraps, which are a version of rolled aram sandwiches from the Mediterranean. Spreading a thin layer of cream cheese on the tortilla adds a touch of richness and keeps the wrap from getting soggy even if you make them the night before. It helps to thoroughly drain off the vegetables before adding them to the wrap. Don’t stress if the wrap doesn’t stay together perfectly at first; artichokes are slippery.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2/3 cup shredded organic carrots
- 1/3 organic English cucumber, cut into long, thin strips (3 oz. total)
- 4 large leaves organic romaine lettuce, ribs removed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar (preservative-free)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat organic cream cheese or Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 2 (9-inch) whole wheat wraps or tortillas
- 8 pieces (quarters) marinated artichoke hearts, drained well
1. In medium bowl combine carrots, cucumber and lettuce. Toss with olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (if desired).
2. Spread cream cheese on wraps. Drain vegetables. Top each wrap with lettuce, carrots and cucumber. Top with artichoke hearts. Roll up. Sercure with wooden picks, if necessary.
3. Carefully slice each wrap into 6 pieces. Serve immediately. (Or, for make-ahead, tightly wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, then slice before serving.)