Creamy Asiago Polenta Puff Recipe
Combining a creamy polenta mixture made with lowfat milk and Asiago cheese with whipped egg whites creates a breakfast casserole that has both a light, airy texture like a soufflé and an earthiness from the organic whole grain corn meal.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 1 1/2 cups organic lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup chopped organic green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup organic whole grain corn meal
- 2 organic egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely shredded organic Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped organic roasted red peppers, drained (about 2 oz.)
- 4 organic egg whites
1. In medium saucepan combine milk, green onions, salt and ground red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just begins to bubble. Gradually add corn meal, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
2. Stir about 1/2 cup of the hot cornmeal mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to saucepan. Stir in Asiago cheese and roasted red peppers.
3. In large mixing bowl beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully fold cornmeal mixture into egg whites. Spoon into 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 375° F about 25 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Serve immediately.