Bitter Greens With Fennel, Dates and Hazelnuts Recipe
The beguiling combination of sweet, salty, and bitter makes this one of our favorite winter salads.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 1/4 cup blanched and peeled hazelnuts
- 1 organic shallot, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons preservative-free sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 organic fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
- 6 cups organic arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped, pitted organic Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (a vegetable peeler works well)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Spread hazelnuts in shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool. Coarsely chop.
2. In large salad bowl whisk together shallot, vinegar, olive oil and salt. Add pepper to taste and adjust seasoning, adding more vinegar, oil or salt (if desired).
3. Place fennel on top of dressing. Layer arugula, dates and hazelnuts on fennel. Top with Parmesan. Sprinkle with additional pepper (if desired). Just before serving, toss.