Asparagus Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Continuous stirring releases the starch from the short, round grains of Italian Arborio rice, giving the risotto its characteristic creamy texture.
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh organic mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped organic onion
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 pound fresh organic asparagus spears, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup shredded organic carrot
- 3/4 cup organic grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons grated organic Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil leaves
- Shaved Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. In small saucepan bring broth to boiling. Cover and reduce heat until broth just simmers.
2. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Stir in rice. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until rice begins to turn golden brown. Slowly and carefully add 1/2 cup of the hot broth, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until broth is absorbed.
3. Gradually add 1/2 cup additional hot broth to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup broth and asparagus to rice mixture, stirring constantly until broth is absorbed. (This step should take about 12 to 15 minutes.)
4. Gradually stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth and carrot. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes more or until rice is slightly creamy and just tender. Stir in tomatoes, cheese and 2 tablespoons basil. Spoon onto serving plates. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and fresh basil leaves, if desired. Serve immediately.