Spring Barley Salad
Whole grains and veggies unite in this simple yet satisfying springtime salad, featuring leeks, wild mushrooms, carrots, asparagus, fava beans, and barley in a light vinaigrette.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: ½ hour (active), 1 hour (total)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chopped organic leek (white only)
- 1 clove minced organic garlic
- 1 cup roughly chopped mixed organic wild mushrooms (such as Morels, Oyster, or Lobster)
- 2 cups all natural vegetable stock
- 4 ounces frozen shelled fava beans
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 1 peeled and shredded organic carrot
- 1 pound organic asparagus
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (preservative-free)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have given off their liquid, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a medium pot, add veggie stock, fava beans, and pearl barley. Bring to a boil and Cook covered for 20 minutes. Next, add carrots, asparagus (cut into 1-inch pieces), and fresh oregano. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain liquid and reserve.
In a bowl, toss mushroom mixture and barley mixture together. Add some of the reserved liquid and vinegar. Season to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serving size: ¾ cup, Calories 168, Calories from Fat 56.9%, Total Fat 10g, Cholesterol 0mg, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 2g, Sodium 1096mg, Potassium 5%, Calcium 3%, Iron 9%, Vitamin C 8%, Vitamin A 51%, Vitamin B 6%