Hearty Banana Muffins
A favorite way to start the day gets a nutrition boost from Heart to Heart® cereal. Tender and moist inside, crisp and toasty outside — yum!
Makes 12 muffins
- 2-½ cups Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal, crushed*
- 1-¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup cane syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed organic bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup organic nonfat milk (or plain organic soy milk)
- 2 organic egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
- ⅓ cup expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into lightly oiled muffin tins. For garnish, place three hearts from the Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal on top of each muffin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers of the muffins comes out clean, or about 20 minutes. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
*Place Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal in a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin until the cereal resembles coarse flour without any large chunks. To save time, you can place the cereal in a blender or food processor and pulse into coarse flour instead.
Serving Size: 1 muffin, Calories 190, Calories from Fat 60, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 13g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%