Garlic Braised Greens
Rich in nutrients from whole grains and dark leafy greens, this simple, satisfying standby is a welcome addition to just about any meal.
Makes 5 servings.
- 2 cups Kashi™ 7 Whole Grain Pilaf, cooked and hot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cloves organic garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 whole organic carrots, cut into match sticks
- 6 cups fresh organic kale, removed from stem and chopped finely
- ⅔ cup water (or all-natural vegetable stock)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ cup fresh basil, minced
- Cook Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Pilaf according to directions on package.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, add garlic and stir for 5 seconds. Add carrots and kale and stir quickly and thoroughly until both are evenly coated with the oil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add water, salt, pepper, and mix well. Cover and simmer until carrots and kale are tender but still retaining their bright colors (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in basil.
- Toss braised greens mixture with hot cooked Kashi Pilaf and serve immediately.
Serving Size: About ½ cup, Calories 200, Calories from Fat 35, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 36g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 4g, Protein 8g, Vitamin A 170%, Vitamin C 310%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%