Easy as Pie Yogurt Cake
This simple, delicious little cake starts with whole-wheat pastry flour and rich Greek yogurt. Mounds of fresh, juicy fruit and a dollop of tangy yogurt top it off.
Cake Recipe Makes 12 Servings
Cupcake Recipe Makes 15 Servings
Preparation Time: 2 hours
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 free-range eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups organic low-fat plain Greek yogurt (Divided)
- 1 cup evaporated cane juice crystals
- 1/3 cup expeller-pressed canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups organic mixed fresh fruit (sliced strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries, blackberries, sliced nectarines, sliced peaches, cut-up mango or cut-up kiwifruit)
- Cut circle of parchment paper to fit in bottom of 9-inch round baking pan. Lightly oil bottom and sides of pan. Place paper in bottom of pan. Set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, 1 cup low-fat yogurt, cane juice crystals, oil, water, vanilla and almond extract until smooth. Add flour mixture to yogurt mixture, stirring until just combined. Spread in prepared pan. Bake at 350° F for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Peel off parchment paper. Cool completely.
- To serve, cut cake into wedges. Top each wedge with fruit and dollop of Greek yogurt.
*Note: For cupcakes, prepare cake batter as directed above. Spoon into fifteen 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups lined with paper bake cups. Bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. To serve, split cupcakes in half. Top with fruit and dollops of Greek yogurt.
Cake per serving: 230 calories (70 from fat); 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat); 45 mg cholesterol; 150 mg sodium, 85 mg potassium, 34 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 7 g protein
Cupcakes per serving: 190 calories (60 from fat); 6 g fat (0.5 saturated fat); 35 mg cholesterol; 120 mg sodium; 65 mg potassium; 28 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 5 g protein