Apple Turkey Picadillo
This twist on the Latin American staple starts with lean ground turkey and crisp apples. It doubles well. Try tucking it into whole-wheat tortillas or serve over instant brown rice for a quick supper.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound 99%-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon naturally prepared cider vinegar
- 1 medium organic tart green apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped organic tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped, naturally prepared green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced organic scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in apple, tomato, olives and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring often, until any liquid in the pan has reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and serve.
Per serving: 270 calories; 9 g fat ( 1 g sat , 0 g trans, 1 g poly, 5 g mono ); 45 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 14 g sugar; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 820 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium.