Whole-Wheat Couscous with Parmesan & Peas
Couscous, which is actually a type of tiny pasta, makes an almost-instant side dish. Happily, the whole-wheat variety is just as fast to prepare as regular couscous. Lemon zest is a delicious accent to nutty Parmesan in this Italian-inspired couscous.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh organic dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated organic lemon zest
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated organic Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water and oil in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let plump for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas on the stovetop or in the microwave according to package directions.
- Add the peas, dill, lemon zest, salt and pepper to the couscous; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 190 calories; 4 g fat (1.5 g sat, 0 g trans, 0 g poly, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 2 g sugar; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber;150 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.