Chai-Spiced Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Pilaf
Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Pilaf topped with sweet, spice-infused milk makes an exquisite breakfast cereal. Green pistachio nuts sprinkled over the top look beautiful against the light golden glow provided by the turmeric and saffron.
Note that you can cook the pilaf up to several days ahead and reheat it in the spiced milk.
Makes 4 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1 paper packet Kashi™ 7 Whole Grain Pilaf
- 2 cups organic low-fat, non-fat or soy milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- A drop of vanilla (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light-colored local organic honey or agave syrup (to taste)
- Cook the pilaf according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, pour the milk into a medium-sized saucepan. Add salt, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, and saffron, and whisk to blend them in. Place the pan over medium heat.
- Just before it comes to a boil, lower the heat, and let the milk simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and honey or agave, and whisk until the sweetener dissolves.
- Pour the spiced milk over the pilaf, and serve topped with any or all of the optional toppings.
Per serving: 237 calories (30 from fat); 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat); 6 cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrate; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 127 mg sodium
Copyright © 2010 Tante Malka, Inc.