Bitter Greens With Fennel, Dates and Hazelnuts
The beguiling combination of sweet, salty, and bitter makes this one of our favorite winter salads.
Makes 6 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 organic shallot, finely minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons preservative-free sherry vinegar
- 1/4 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly grated black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup blanched (peeled) hazelnuts
- 6 cups organic washed arugula
- 1 organic fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise, core removed, and cut very thinly into half rings
- 1/4 cup chopped dried pitted organic Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (a vegetable peeler works well)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Toast hazelnuts in a rimmed baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes, until lightly colored. Cool slightly and chop roughly.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together shallot, sherry vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Add pepper to taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, vinegar, or oil.
- Place sliced fennel on top of dressing, followed by the hazel nuts, dates, arugula, and finally the shaved Parmesan and a little more black pepper. Toss the salad right before serving.
NOTE: Salad can sit out for up to an hour before tossing.
Per serving: 241 calories (151 from fat); 17 g (3 g saturated fat); 6 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 370 mg sodium