Mushroom-Stuffed Delicata Squash
Vegetarians will be fighting off the carnivores over this delicious, hearty entrée.
Serves 4 to 6 as an entrée
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons cold expeller pressed olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 organic onion, finely chopped
- 2 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 organic fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 12 ounces organic mushrooms, at least one-third shiitake (remaining can be crimini, button, or exotic), sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly grated black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or other whole grains bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated imported Parmesan cheese
- 4 organic delicata squash, halved length wise, seeds removed; cut a long thin slice from back (careful not to cut all the way through) to keep them stable while cooking
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until onions color slightly, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute, until fragrant. Add fennel seed and chopped fennel and continue cooking until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, season with ¾ teaspoon of salt and freshly grated pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in pine nuts and herbs, turn off heat, and cool slightly in pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Fold half of breadcrumb/cheese into mushroom mixture.
- Place squash halves on a rimmed cookie sheet lined parchment paper and season squash with remaining salt and pepper. Fill each squash with mushroom stuffing, top with remaining bread crumbs/cheese mixture, and drizzle with oil olive. Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash are tender and tops are golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 309 calories (183 from fat); 21 g fat ( 5 g saturated fat); 15 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrate; 7 gm protein; 3 g fiber; 1374 mg sodium