Veggie Burgers with Heart
Vegetarians and meat lovers alike will savor the hearty texture and Italian seasonings of these succulent patties, which are as tender as they are nutritious.
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- ½ large organic yellow onion, diced
- ½ large organic red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or soy oil
- 1 pound ground soy/veggie meat or crumbled soy/veggie burgers of your choice
- ½ cup ketchup or barbeque sauce (no salt added varieties)
- 2 large organic egg whites or egg substitute
- ½ cup organic part skim mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- ½ cup Kashi® Heart to Heart® Honey Toasted Oat cereal, crushed
- ¼ cup organic low sodium parmesan cheese or soy parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté the first four ingredients in olive oil for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add ground soy/veggie meat or crumbled soy/veggie burgers into vegetable mixture and continue to cook for 5 minutes until flavors absorb into meat. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients, except parmesan cheese. Mix well to incorporate all the ingredients using your hands.
- Form the mixture into eight burger patties and place them into an oiled baking dish. Sprinkle burgers with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of burgers.
- Baked burgers, stored in an airtight container, should keep well in the refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat, simply microwave burger until warmed.
Serving Size: 4 oz. pattie, Calories 125, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 220mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 1g, Protein 12g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%