Mushroom Barley Soup
Makes 8 servings.
Cooking time: 20 minutes (active), 55 minutes (total)
- 2 tablespoons extra‐virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced organic onion
- ¼ cup diced organic celery
- ¼ cup diced organic butternut squash
- 1 cup minced organic portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup minced organic button mushrooms
- Pinch kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ cup organic pearl barley
- 4 cups all-natural vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup steamed organic peas
- 1 tablespoon organic Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan over medium‐high heat, add oil, onion, celery, squash, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add barley, broth and spinach; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add peas to warm through, then serve with Parmesan cheese on top.
Serving size: 1 cup, Calories 113, Total Fat 4.5g (0.8g saturated, 1mg cholesterol), Sodium 419mg, Total Carbohydrate 13.5g, Fiber 2.9g, Protein 5.2g.