Blueberry Tart with Walnut Crust
Conventional cheesecake gets a makeover but retains its satisfying charms, with creamy reduced-fat Neufchâtel, naturally sweet maple syrup, walnuts, and fresh berries.
Makes 12 Servings
Total preparation time: 2 hours (including cooling & chilling time)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat organic cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- ¼ cup reduced-fat organic sour cream
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsps pure maple syrup, preferably grade B, divided
- 2 cups fresh organic blueberries
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs (see INGREDIENT NOTE)
- 1 large free-range egg white
- 1 Tbsp organic butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp expeller-pressed peanut or canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- Special Equipment: 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coarsely chop walnuts in a food processor. Add graham cracker crumbs and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Add the crumb mixture, butter, oil and salt; toss to combine. Press mixture into bottom and ½ inch up the sides of a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan. Set pan on a baking sheet. Bake until dry and slightly darker around edges, about 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling: Beat cream cheese, sour cream and ¼ cup maple syrup in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. When crust is cool, spread filling evenly into it, being careful not to break up the delicate crust. Arrange blueberries on the filling, pressing lightly so they set in. Drizzle remaining 2 Tbsps maple syrup over berries. Chill for at least 1 hour to firm.
INGREDIENT NOTE: To avoid trans fats, look for brands of graham crackers without partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Pulse graham crackers in a food processor or place in a large plastic sandwich bag and crush with a rolling pin. (You’ll need about 14 whole-wheat graham cracker squares to make 1 cup of crumbs.)
MAKE AHEAD TIP: Refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 177 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium. 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat