Prized in the Middle East as a feast staple, this smoky, versatile spread livens up party menus and meals alike. Serve the classic eggplant dip with pita wedges.
Makes 12 servings
- 2 medium organic eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 4 cloves organic garlic, unpeeled
- ¼ cup organic lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps tahini
- 1¼ tsps salt
- Expeller-pressed extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- Ground sumac, for garnish
- Preheat grill to high.
- Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Thread garlic cloves onto a skewer. Grill the eggplants, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill the garlic, turning once, until charred and tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplants and garlic to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, peel both. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, tahini and salt; process until almost smooth. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sumac, if desired.
Serving size: ¼ cup each. Per serving: 32 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 245 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.